Hot new releases from Amazon

Wednesday

Courtesy: Beware of the carpooling litterbug



Heads up. I’m gonna talk trash about a coworker. Nope, I’m not unloading nasty rumors, juicy gossip, or talking out of school. But there’s a messy problem, and I simply cannot sweep it under the rug.

Somebody stop me.

Or don’t.

Maybe this is a problem for plenty of people. I don’t know.

Here’s the stuff of it.

I have a delightful coworker, with whom I occasionally carpool to business meetings, conferences, trade fairs, and other off-site events. I enjoy her company. She’s bright and dynamic and fun, and she raises thought-provoking discussion topics that make the miles fly by.

She willingly shares trip costs, such as gas and tolls. She consistently takes her own turn at driving. And she’s always on-time.

Honestly, I enjoy carpooling with this colleague.

There’s just this one thing.

Every time she climbs out of my car, she leaves rubbish behind, even though I keep a very visible travel-sized trash bag in the center console. Arriving home after a shared excursion, I have to pull out a trash bag and my vacuum to pick up cookie crumbs, muffin bits, popcorn kernels, empty soda cans, water bottles, candy wrappers, half-full coffee take-outs, or bottle caps. I scoop up stray French fries, twist ties, and wadded-up papers. The floor mat by her seat is filled with clods of dried dirt.

I have to stop and wonder. This particular person is very tidy about her own appearance. Her clothing is clean and neat. Her hair and makeup are always tastefully done. Her workspace is clean and uncluttered. The work she does is consistently complete and well-organized.


So what’s with all the littering inside my vehicle?

I can easily overlook the condition of this coworker’s own car. When it’s her turn to drive, I step over debris and take my seat. I ignore the stray shoe or sock, the solo mitten, the dog-eared mail-order catalog, and the soiled coffee cup. Her vehicle = her business.

And I enjoy the ride.

But I simply cannot fathom leaving trash in someone else’s car. Like mine.

I’m not a neat freak, but this is sort of getting to me. (Can you tell?)

Although I try hard to keep my car clean, I do not have a problem with passengers eating or drinking neatly along the way. I even keep snacks aboard, in case we get hungry. I just don’t understand how folks can leave junk behind.

Maybe it’s a simple oversight. But it sort of feels like a form of disrespect to the driver – and it maybe doesn’t contribute to workplace harmony. Is that an exaggeration? Think this merits mentioning to my dear carpooling litterbug?

Image/s:
Adapted from public domain image


Feel free to follow Twitter. Please visit my Amazon author page as well. And I am happy to share my RUNDERDOG ambassador code for 10% off on Bondi Band Athletic Headbands, Accessories, and Fashions. (Simply enter the code at online checkout.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...